My name is Mathew Akers. I was born in Seattle, Washington and raised in Wenatchee, Washington. For the last seven years I have lived in Boise, Idaho. I have an amazing Mother and Father. I am a Christian, a US Army Veteran, a Husband, a Father, and a Son. I’ve been through a lot. A lot by my own hand, but, a lot of it was not. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I believe He was born as God in the flesh, lived a blameless/sinless life, and was put to death for our sins, so that we could be forgiven if we choose to believe in what we cannot see. I believe on that third day He rose from the dead.
I am starting a mission/ministry/movement right out of the ashes of my own life experience. I am the first flower you see after the forest fire. I believe this is my life’s work. I don’t have all the answers. I don’t have the whole Bible memorized. I don’t even know the depth of this story. What I do have is motivation and a calling from God to act in faith towards this. I believe He will work out the details and align me with people who help fill in my blank areas. Just as He’s already doing.
This mission statement is a living document. It will grow as my mission is refined by my experience as its first adventurer. I don’t know all the details yet, but that’s what I am headed to Nepal to figure out. I am called to go to Nepal, and I believe that God Himself called me to go there to meet draw closer to Him in the mountains, and to meet myself, the self that He has always planned for me to be. Once I return, I intend to repeat this in various scaled adventure devotions for other men.
God’s mission for me is (and I choose to accept it):
- To live a visible relationship with Jesus and encourage others to do the same.
- To be patient, loving, and kind ( )
- To be forgiving and understanding of those around me ( )
- To not just speak about my faith, but act on it. ( )
- To help men who are on the road to recovery after relationship trauma, through faith, devotion, and adventure; in a way that speaks to a man’s heart. ( )
- To encourage men about their role as a father and husband. (Focus on The Family)
- To encourage men towards their family even when it looks hopeless. (Focus on The Family)
- To advocate for Fathers
- To advocate for Husbands
- To Inspire through God’s continual work in my life.
- To advocate for the Bible’s ability to heal mental health, and damage from emotional traumas.
As I let God take me into this adventure at a speed that only makes sense to Him and me, these are the four pillars I am planting my flag on in Jesus Christ’s name.
If this speaks to you, please humbly consider a donation or wish list item to become part of the adventure devotion movement. And please head over to my YouTube channel where I am filming the day-to-day of the start of something very special.
Big Words. Bigger God. Praise Papa!